Thursday, March 25, 2010

Something Bigger


Yesterday I was sitting in the car waiting for my mom to get out of a meeting. It was getting pretty warm just sitting there with all the windows rolled up. Unfortunately I didn’t have the keys. I was finishing a great book, “Velvet Elvis” by Rob Bell, definitely a keeper. I opened up my door to let the wind sweep fresh air in, and I decided to put down my book and just sit there. I thought about where I was last year at this time. I remember it so distinctly, feels like yesterday. I remember one day I sat in that same parking lot with both the car doors open, and a warm, gentle, breeze rushing straight through. It was near the end of the day and the sun was getting ready to set. We had just got done with a hike, me and a group of friends, and we were all exhausted, but refreshed. Everyone had already left, but I was still waiting for my ride. It was just me and a good friend. We just sat there together in silence, the good kind of silence, the peaceful silence, the silence that doesn’t need words to fill a void. “Wow,” is all he said. I knew what he meant. He sensed it too. It was like something bigger was taking place. Like I was experiencing something, but REALLY experiencing it. I was soaking in the moment. For some reason something made it beautiful. Something made it memorable. It was nothing special, but at the same time it was.
It was one of those moments. One of those moments hard to describe. Where it seems there’s something bigger going on. Something is happening.
I’m sure everyone has had moments like these. Like something bigger than ourselves is taking place and we can’t even begin to describe it. Where we feel the presence of warmth, security, comfort, safety, love… something so… good, so right. Maybe you could call it awe.

What is it about certain events that trigger something inside?

Is that Something actually Someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment