Friday, April 30, 2010

Running


Yesterday I went running, faster and farther than I ever have here at school. It was such a gorgeous day. The sun was shining and just standing outside you could get hot. As I started to run I couldn’t wait to get away from this place. I was enjoying watching the scenery change with every curve in the road. I passed barns, cows, houses, a cat cemetery (weird, I know), trees, more barns, dirt roads, and lots of endless hills. It was beautiful with the sun shining on my back.

I always run down the road as far as I can go. Once I feel myself getting exhausted and ready to shut down, I turn around, and head back. This is always a difficult challenge for myself, but yesterday was the worst. I hated the idea of returning back to the school. The sun beat it’s rays across my face. Sweat rolled off my forehead. I couldn’t get the idea of quitting out of my mind. I was exhausted and ready to give up. I continued on, counting the curves in the road to see how many were left.

I got to thinking… If I stop now when I get back I’ll be very disappointed in myself. This is the most critical part of the whole run. If I give up what does that say about my character? If I keep pushing I’ll gain a lot more from this run. Endurance, determination, muscle, a sense of accomplishment, relief, strength… I won’t return empty handed. I have to keep pushing. Only a mile left…

Sometimes the hardest times in life are the most critical. It’s how you respond in these moments that build your character. Sometimes God tests you to see how much you can endure, to help you grow, to make you stronger. Don’t give up. Push harder. Press on. Trust me, you won’t return disappointed.

Written 4/16/10

No comments:

Post a Comment