Saturday, May 1, 2010

Rebuild It

Part II
On our fun, “tourist,” no show day in Alaska I got sick. I felt like I could throw up at any moment, so instead of bowling, hanging out at the mall, or going to the zoo, I went back to my room to sleep and take a shower. I had another massive headache, a fever, the chills, and I was dizzy and faintish all the rest of the night. The next day we had 3 shows, and the team was counting on me. So a feverish, dizzy, Karalee did her best to keep up with the team. In the second show, one of the girls got a concussion. In our third show of the day we had to replace her. I had to replace her in a high L where you transfer all your weight to one leg and lift the other one in a step. I was pretty nervous about it because I can barley balance on one foot on the ground, I wasn’t sure how I was going to do this while standing on someone’s hand up in the air.
The show came and before I knew it was time for the dreaded pyramid. After the incident in the first show of the trip where I fell I was scared I was going to fall and no one would catch me. I can still perfectly picture turning to Trent and Charlie, the two bases that would be holding my life in their hands, with a nervous smile on my face. It was returned with two large grins. Trent whispered, “You can do it Karalee.” Charlie whispered, “You got this!” My heart was racing. “Mount one!” That was me. “Ready up, down up!” And with that I jumped into their hands and stood straight up staring at the wall while they threw me into the air. Mrs. Gimbel, one of the coaches, was yelling, “Stay tight! Stay tight!” I was up. Now came the hard part, shifting my weight to one leg. Rachel was in a low L next to me and I heard her yelling, “You got this Karalee, you got it!” I did it, without falling I was up. “Ready, sweep!” I fell back into Charlie and Trent’s arms and they whispered “Way to go!” and “Good job! You were amazing!” What a boost of encouragement! Way to rebuild my trust and rebuild my confidence through these comments! Way to be a team!

4/27/10

No comments:

Post a Comment