Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vote for Upper Colombia Academy


There’s something so real about this place. The teachers, the students, all contributers to the atmosphere but something else really stands out in my mind as to why this school is so different from the rest. These students and teachers all carry God with them. God is so real here. You feel him, and see him around every corner. When he feels out of reach, he’s actually the closest.
Today I walked home with my favorite teacher. I got a phone call earlier today telling me I had been accepted into Choraliers, the selected singing group on campus. I had to let my favorite teacher know that I wasn’t going to be able to be in gymnastics again this year, and so we’d never have any classes together. I could tell he was sad, but happy for me at the same time. He told me he would sneak me into a few of the routines some time. I’m really excited about that! We sat on the floor long after everyone had vacated the gym to find dinner to satisfy their cravings. We talked. About who would be on gymnastics this year, choraliers, being an R.A., the girls on my hall, relationships gone bad, the Kohls Cares news crew today and the project with the school. As we were walking home I realized yes, getting money from Kohls to fix our school is very much needed and appreciated, but even if our dorms are stained and ruined, our café is disgusting, and the gym has no air conditioning, we still have something so wonderful it can’t be replaced, and it can’t be bought by money. Ourselves. The students. The teachers. The church family. The people that put so much into making this school what it is. As we neared his house, I walked on to the café. I can’t put into words just how I felt. Something mystical happened then. Something greater was taking place. I could feel it. The presence of God was all around me. And I realized, if we don’t get the Kohls Cares donation, God will never leave us or forsake us. He will provide. And we will be real.

In honor of Kohls 10th anniversary they're giving away $5,000 to 20 different schools. Right now we're in 38th place. Sign up on facebook to cast 5 votes for our school. Voting ends September 3rd. You can make a difference. You can be the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment