Sunday, October 24, 2010

Appreciating the leftovers

I just got back from spending my homeleave working in the kitchen at Mivoden and I'm exhausted. It's a lot of work, and boring at times, but it's still fun. We prepare all the food, set it out in a neat orderly fashion on both sides of the serving counter and wait for the mad rush to come. You can tell by watching the head cook she's in a whirlwind of worries and ideas as she comes rushing through to make sure everything looks "pretty." "It's all about the pretty," she says. She double checks us to make sure we all have gloves on, our hair is pulled back, and our aprons are presentable. Then she asks us the final question, "Ready? Smile!" It's like a surge of adrenaline rushes through her as she gets excited for us to serve these hungry people and satisfy their needs. It makes me chuckle everytime. Something about it, so showy. It reminds me of my theatre producions. "Ready... action!" And the curtains are pulled back as we scramble to our places preparing to become our character. Apart of me is glad I'm finished with those times, but apart of me really misses them. The good part is, I look back on the many times I've been involved in a not so overly thrilling production and I'm actually glad I did it. I use to regret them, but they've given me so many more experiences and memories to reflect on.

No comments:

Post a Comment