Sunday, October 31, 2010

Jang Nan or Sah Tang


I JUST got back from an incredible experience. I'm sitting here in my pink princess dress reflecting over the night. Trick or treating on Halloween may not sound like an "incredible experience" but it was. Not because of the activity. I could care less if I got any candy. I don't like most candy... maybe nerds, a crunch bar everyonce in a while, a reeses or a kitkat, but that's about it. I do love the dressing up part, that is pretty fun. This is the second time in my life I've gone trick or treating. I remember once when I was about 5 I dressed up as a clown and went with my sister around the block of our little community. I don't remember very much.

When I called this afternoon to get parent permission for the deans so I could go, I was almost positive they were going to say no. It's Halloween after all, in their book, the WORST night to be driving... and the rules are already so strict on driving as it is... But I thought, what the heck, why not try? At first they said they'd think about it and call me back. When they called me back their answer was no, but somehow I found a way to persuade them. There were a few conditions though, I had to be back by 7:00PM. Which only gave me an hour because we left at 5:15, and it takes about 20 some minutes to drive out there. (Thanks mom and dad for letting me go!)



We went door to door, and it was great fun. My two Korean pals were a kick in the pants. One was dressed up as Mulan and the other a fat (stuffed with pillows) chicken. They went around saying in funny, deep, low voices, Jang Nan or Sah Tang, which is trick or treat in Korean. Cassie was Belle, Alex was Sleeping Beauty, Michael was James Bond, or Prince Charming (whichever you prefer), Heidi was Cruella Devil, Geoff was superman, Jon was a McDonalds worker, and I was Arial (but I got called Cinderella quite often). Everyone said we had the best outfits of the night! The act of going around from house to house wasn't exactly "exciting" like it would've been if we were little kids, but the fact that we were all together doing something we could make fun, just made the night! As I left early, they all said goodbye to me, and as I was driving home, I realized just how much I loved all of them. I started thinking about next year, even though it's a ways away... it really isn't that far away because this quarter flew by! I don't know what I'm going to do without all of them. I hope we can all go to Walla Walla together. I know Geoff lives in Colorado, and his plan as of now is to join the military next year. It breaks my heart, he's one of my best friends, I don't know what I'm going to do without him! But for tonight, for this memory that will last a life time, it was good. It was real good.

No comments:

Post a Comment