Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Reacurring Theme


It happened again to me today. I was left alone.
Last night for the worship on my hall we made our own name tags. Snowmen actually. The girls were busy working away as I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off getting more glue sticks, crayons, paper, pencils, scissors, you name it. Finally, when I felt we had enough supplies, I sat down and began building my own decoration. I sat there and cut, and colored, and glued pieces together diligently. When I was finished with my creation I looked up and around me. No one. The hall was desserted. My only companions were the pens, pencils, scraps of paper and opened glue sticks rolling around in a mesh looking like an explosion had gone off. I laughed at myself for just now noticing that I was alone. I must have really been concentrating!
It happened to me again today.
This time in the cafe at lunch about 45 minutes ago. It started out as a full table. We finished eating and half the table left. I was visitng with a few friends at the end of the table. I got distracted by someone sitting a few tables down, we were making funny faces at each other. I ducked under the table for a split second, popped back up, and poof! Gone. I was alone again at this huge table by myself. I looked around and laughed again. As I got up to leave someone walked by and laughed at me. "Don't you hate it when that happens?" He said. "Yeah! It seems to be happening a lot to me lately."
I'd like to think of myself as a caring, compassionate person, who really wants to get out of my comfort zone just to notice people. To help people, and contribute to a friendly atmosphere. But maybe I'm too blind to the things around me. Too preoccupied with helping myself, that I'm oblivious to the fact that I'm alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment