Friday, November 12, 2010

Seeking Treasure

What do you tell an athiest when they ask you why you'd give up so much in life to become a christian? "Being a christian is hard." They say, and I'd have to agree. We discussed this in Bible class the other day and no one had an answer. Every answer had an argument against it. I just don't understand the answer to this question. Finally today I asked Pastor Sid after class, what his answer to this question was.
Of course, he turned the question back on me, "What makes you want or need God in your life?"
I answered with the "no duh" answer, "Well, with God leading your life you will encounter an incredible journey in life, better than you thought was possible, better than the plans for yourself."
He simply replied with, "Yes, that's true. But that's a factual answer. I want something deep. From your, Karalee Rhuman's heart."
I stood there staring at him for a minute... I pondered a bit, I had nothing. There is nothing in my heart, and he could see right through me. I thought I could feel a tear forming in my eye so I quickly replied with, "Well, I guess I'll have to think about that more." And turned towards my desk to pick up my stuff.
He solomnly answered, "When you know the answer to that question, you'll know what to say to the athiest."
I returned to my desk, holding back the tear that wanted to spill and run down my face, picked up my things with a small smile and a little departing laugh like always. I quickly went on my way, running out of the ad building and into the sanctuary of my room. I stared out the window and saw an old man I didn't recognize with a metal detector searching for something on the lawn. He bent down and started digging... nothing, covered the whole back up, and started searching again. Again he thought he'd found something, this time he dug deeper and wider. Nothing. He stood up and went on his way. I stared out the window and let the tears roll freely.

How long do you have to search until you find the Treasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment