Wednesday, December 15, 2010

More Than a Job

I was in a light sleep, and I heard the sound of a subtle knock on my door. I rolled over and looked at the clock, 7:30. There was no way I was getting out of bed. The knock came again this time a little louder. It was silent. They knocked once again even harsher. Silence. They pounded on the door, like they were going to bust into my room. I didn't budge. I guess I fell back asleep, but it wasn't a deep sleep. I heard the knocking again. I rolled over once again, it was 8:15. Nope, not getting up. They knocked a little louder. It was silent. They knocked once again even harsher. Silence. They pounded on the door as if to knock it down. I didn't budge. I figured the deans were available for a key or whatnot. There were plenty of other options besides me. Other R.A.'s have keys to unlock their door for them. What about their roommate? They shouldn't have lost their key to begin with. I'm an R.A. I stay up late, they don't get that. I rolled back over and returned to sleep, only to find myself awoken yet again, this time by the high screetching sound of my alarm clock. It's an awful sound, and I was already in a bad mood. I layed there for a couple minutes in bed, contimplating if I should get up. I forced myself to crawl out of bed. I was grumpy, very grumpy. Why are people so inconsiderate, I'm up all night doing a job, working on homework, and they think they can just come take away even more of my sleep for no good reason. Lack of sleep makes me grumpy... and then I felt guilty, because after all, my job isn't on the clock, it's year-round. It's 24/7. It never stops. Someone is always watching. I'm suppose to be available ALWAYS, even in the middle of the night when I'm asleep and someone is homesick crying out in the hall. This is my job. And one of the reasons I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment