Sunday, December 19, 2010

People Watching


My sister was telling me today that one of her favorite things to do as a family is go "people watching." Shopping at the mall is always one of our family Christmas traditions, before Christmas and afterwards. You can always find Kristina, Mom, and me shopping away, and outside the little store on a bench is Dad and Ben sitting contently "people watching" they call it.

There was a light snow falling as we walked past the ice-skating rink towards Flatirons mall in Colorado one Christmas afternoon. I remember my sister telling my dad, "Dad, I just love this place! One day, I'm going to get married here!" Now if you asked her about this memory today she would vividly remember saying this, but I'm pretty sure she's changed her mind. We entered the food court, Christmas music mixed with loud talking filled the place. My dad asked us, "So, what do you want to do?" Surprisingly my sister didn't say, "SHOP!" She use to have a problem with this, she couldn't leave a store without buying something, even if it was at a grocery store! Instead my sister and I looked at each other and said, "I don't know." We sat on the rock extending from the large fireplace in the middle of the room. "Wait here, I'll go get some cinnamon rolls."
He stood in line, and returned with two large cinnamon rolls. As my sister and I scarfed them down, he just sat there, watching people. I remember him telling us that was one of his favorite things to do. Just sit and watch people. They were all so different, you never came across someone exactly the same. So my sister and I finished our treats and just sat there and watched people with Dad. It's such a good memory, I think for both my sister and I. I wish I would slow down every once in a while, just to sit and watch. I wish life were that simple again.

1 comment:

  1. Man, you gotta get your story tellin straight sista! Ha ha. Nah, jk. Pretty close, but I'm no shopaholic.

    ReplyDelete