Sunday, February 6, 2011

the best day for a terrorist attack:

I feel as though about 5 hours of my life have been wasted today.
I watched the superbowl.
I use to like to pretend that I was always into the superbowl, and the next day at school I would talk to my friends about it. "Yeah, did you see that gnarly interception! I couldn't believe it!" But today the superbowl made me quite angry. American make a holiday of a football game and sit in front of the TV and gorge themselves with food when they could be out being productive. We had Sunday school, but because it was superbowl we had an early friday schedule and we got done early. As soon as the last bell rang the school was vacated. Students, and even the teachers ran out the doorways and headed to their cars to drive to the best "superbowl party."
Cassie and I walked to the Riffels house, and although the food was excellent that was about the best thing. Pastor Fred skipped most of the commercials, which is the main reason I watch the superbowl, and we listened to about 1 minute of the Black Eyed Peas singing the half time show before we all decided they sucked and we skipped it completely. I'm not a fan of the Packers or the Stealers, so the game wasn't even that interesting to me. Now if the Broncos were playing and it was an intense game that looked like overtime was in their near future, I might have been a little excited.
After the game had finished we re-watched the beginning where Christina Aguilera sang the National Anthem. We had totally missed it the first time but we noticed that instead of singing "Or the ramparts we watched" she sang in mistake, "Oh what so proudly we watched..." the guys in the background looked very confused, and it was quite hilarious to the Riffel family. They thought she was a complete idiot for not knowing her own National Anthem while singing in front of the entire world. Then they made fun of the Black Eyed Peas, and how awful they sounded. But I on the other hand felt rather sympathetic. I imagined what Pastor Fred would look like up on that stage singing... pretty sure he doesn't have the guts to do that, so what gives him the right to make fun of them? I'm pretty sure they were all nervous, and forgetting words is just a side effect. We didn't even notice the first time we watched Christina sing, so I'd say she did a pretty good job of covering for herself. Don't get me wrong, I don't think either group was that great, I'm just saying, they're pretty brave for having the guts to get up there and sound awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment