Friday, April 1, 2011

Oreos For The Hungry

I was making my way home this afternoon from school and I got off the freeway. I came to a red light at Pleasant View Road, where I was taking a left. There was a man on the corner with a sign:

Just Hungry.
God Bless.

I tried not to look at him, after all that's what I've been taught all my life to do. Ignore it. The people on the street just want your money for drugs... they could get a job, right? You shouldn't stare and make it awkward. But then I thought, maybe he just needs a smile today. So I smiled. He sort of smiled back. I thought about the kids in Africa and pictured their swollen bellies from malnutrition. He was hungry. If I had a friend sitting next to me with a growling stomach I would offer them any food I had. The light turned green and I was turning the corner. Aha! My oreos! I had grabbed a few from my room before I left. I was trying to think of any other food I could offer. I had just finished my blended chai, and I felt a little guilty. I was a ways down the road, and I thought about turning back. I contimplated, I had to make a decision FAST! I hate decisions! So I thought... but I didn't know what to do. I didn't know if I would get stopped at that light again and have time to give them to him... it just seemed complicated, and I was all alone. So, I kept driving.

I thought about it the rest of the drive home. I still wonder if I made the right choice. It was just oreos...

No comments:

Post a Comment