Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Wall

As I was walking back to my chair tonight finishing up check I walked past an open door to a room with a girl standing inside asking for advice. I heard her ask, "I think I'm going to run a mile tomorrow. I was just wondering, since you run a lot, what's the best advice you can give me to get past the runners wall? You know, that point where it gets so bad you just want to stop."
As I walked by, I half said it to myself, half loud enough for them to hear, "You just keep on running."
They both looked at me, and then back to each other.
"Yep," the experienced girl said. "That's basically it. I don't know what else to say, you just have to keep on running."

This seems like a pretty insignificant conversation, but as I look back on it now, it has so much meaning.
Last night I was talking to a good friend about our spirituality. We both feel pretty desperate. Eager for a change, for a chance to feel alive in the world, a chance to feel God close. The only difference between us is the fact that one of us is still searching and seeking God's face, and the other has accepted the fact that God chooses not to be found. The desolate wall is set before us, and in the back of my mind a whipser lingers on,"just keep on running!"

No comments:

Post a Comment