Friday, August 26, 2011

My Psalm

If I could write my own Psalm (or combine all the right verses into one chapter) it would go something like this:
1 Let the ocean roar and foam,
and its raging waves
shake the mountains.
2 Your vicious waves
have swept over me
like an angry ocean
or a roaring waterfall.
3 Save me, God!
I am about to drown.
I am sinking deep in the mud,
and my feet are slipping.
I am about to be swept under by a mighty flood.
I am worn out from crying,
and my throat is dry.
I have waited for you
till my eyes are blurred.
4 I am your servant,
but I have wandered away
like a lost sheep.
Please come after me,
because I have not forgotten
your teachings.
5 But I never really left you,
and you hold my right hand.
6 I run to you, LORD,
for protection.
Don't disappoint me.
You do what is right,
so come to my rescue.
Listen to my prayer
and keep me safe.
Be my mighty rock, the place
where I can always run
for protection.
Save me by your command!
You are my mighty rock
and my fortress.
7 Don't hide from me
in my time of trouble.
Pay attention to my prayer
and quickly give an answer.
My days disappear like smoke,
and my bones are burning
as though in a furnace.
I am wasting away like grass,
and my appetite is gone.
My groaning never stops,
and my bones can be seen
through my skin.
I am like a lonely owl
in the desert
or a restless sparrow
alone on a roof.
8 Please listen when I pray!
Have pity. Answer my prayer.
My heart tells me to pray.
I am eager to see your face,
so don't hide from me.
9 You are my God. I worship you.
In my heart, I long for you,
as I would long for a stream
in a scorching desert.
10 When your land was thirsy,
you sent showers
to refresh it.
11 I asked the LORD for help,
and he saved me
from all my fears.
12 He scooped up the ocean
and stored the water.
13 You let me rest in fields
of green grass.
You lead me to streams of peaceful water,
and you refresh my life.
14 Run to him for protection.
15 When his people pray for help,
he listens and resuces them
from their troubles.
The LORD is there to rescue
all who are discouraged
and have given up hope.
The LORD's people
may suffer a lot,
but he will always
bring them safely through.
Not one of their bones
will ever be broken.
16 Even before sunrise,
I pray for your help,
and I put my hope
in what you have said.
I lie awake at night,
thinking of your promises.
Show that you love me, LORD,
and answer my prayer.
Please do the right thing
and save my life.
17 You said to me,
"I will point out the road
that you should follow.
I will be your teacher
and watch over you."
18 I pay careful attention
as you lead me,
and I follow closely.
19 I patiently waited, LORD,
for you to hear my prayer.
You listened and pulled me
from a lonely pit
full of mud and mire.
You let me stand on a rock
with my feet firm,
and you gave me a new song,
a song of praise to you.
Many will see this,
and they will honor and trust
you, the LORD God.
20 Sing a new song. Shout!
Play beautiful music.
The LORD is truthful;
he can be trusted.
He loves justice and fairness,
and he is kind to everyone
everywhere on earth.
21 Our God is like this forever
and will always guide us.
22 God will bring his people back,
and they will drink the water
he so freely gives.
23 With all my heart,
I am waiting, LORD, for you!
I trust your promises.
I wait for you more eagerly
than a soldier on guard duty
waits for the dawn.
24 Each morning let me learn
more about your love
because I trust you.
I come to you in prayer,
asking for your guidance.
25 You make my life pleasant,
and my future is bright.
26 I will sing
and play music for you
with all that I am.


*With all your heart you must trust the LORD and not your own judgement. Always let him lead you, and he will clear the road for you to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment