Wednesday, September 28, 2011

in the dark

I left right as the sun started streaking it's bright glow across the sky. Orange, pink, yellow, so bright! It's so pretty out. And there's just enough time to be back by dark. I thought, as I headed out for a run.
I took a left down a street I'd never gone through in my neighborhood. It took me out to another random street. It was kind of fun not knowing where I was going. I liked running in a new place. A good change of scenery. Somehow I ended up running past a church and a park. I took a left at a stoplight because it wasn't green and I didn't want to jog in place or stop running at all. I was completely lost, I'd never been down that road and I had no idea where I was going, but I couldn't just stop and ask for directions. The sun was zipping down faster than I thought it would. Shoot. I found Home Depot, and turned on Whitman, a street that sounded familiar. I ran until I recognized the area but it was dark out. Good thing for the college place water tower or I'd be in bad shape. My sense of direction is awful!
I really enjoyed running in the dark. There were one too many strange men on bikes, I would gladly do without, but for the most part, I really enjoyed it. I liked the feeling of not knowing where I was going. If I had all the time in the world I wouldn't have stressed out at all, but as soon as it got dark, I got a little panicked and my heart started to beat a little faster. It was DARK. Like, night. There was nothing but the street lights to show me the way. Part of me wondered if I'd ever make it home. But that's part of the adventure. Getting lost. Being blinded by the darkness. Wondering about the unknown. It's kind of risky, but not TOO risky. I guess all you can do is hope for the best and keep running. HARD until you reach home.

1 comment:

  1. "turned on Whitman, a street that sounded familiar." haha new to walla walla! You're going to love it down there. And you have an awesome roommate too. :)

    ReplyDelete