Saturday, October 8, 2011

Intriguing Humanity

"The total history of almost anyone would shock almost everyone." -Mignon McLaughlin

The ICantori retreat this afternoon and evening was fantastic. I have to admit, ever since yesterday I've been plagued with awful fatigue, and the thought of making new friends sounds like it requires more energy than I have at the moment. But, I forced myself to do the best I could at getting to know people, because that's really the only way ICantori is going to be fun. I don't know how many times I got asked today what my major was, and the question that followed my "Undecided..." was, "Well, what are your hobbies?" Or, "What do you like to do?!"
BAH! I don' t know! That's the problem! I couldn't think of anything to tell them... so I told them what I DON'T like.
Well...
I hate math.
I despise science.
I detest anything in the medical field.
History is boring.
English is fairly neutral, it has it's good days and bad.
So then they would ask, "Well, do you like people?"
"YES!" That is the one thing I am sure about.
Their response... "social worker."
People are one thing that will never become boring. There's so much to discover. Just when you think you're figuring someone out, you realize there's so much more you can't see. It's hard enough to know yourself, but unlocking the mysteries and pouring into the wide open books set right in front of you is what makes life interesting. Facinating really, the stories, the personalities, the looks, everything is so gravitating. I wish my far-fetched dream of knowing everyone in the world personally wasn't so berserk. Maybe someday...

"Why are there men and women that while they are nigh the sunlight expands my blood? Why when they leave me do my pennants of joy sink flat and lank?" -Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment