Monday, October 10, 2011

Mending it Back

"Hurry! Come quick! Look!" My sister called out, as I shoved my foot through the hole in my pajama pants. I hadn't realized I was steping on the ends of my pants when I quickly yanked them up. Rrrriiiiipp... shoot. So, for the last couple days I've been walking around with holey pajama pants, my sisters friends coming to our house and all. Cute Karalee... So yesterday in the moments I couldn't focus on homework (which was almost all day), I fixed things. Tidied the kitchen counter, put dishes away, cleaned the bathroom, made my bed, picked up random things around the house and found a new spot for them, and sewed my clothes back together. The week before, I had washed a new shirt and the washing machine ate the lace right off and left a mess of strings. So not only did I have my holey pants, but my stringy shirt as well.
I got out my needle and thread, and sat down to get to work. As I sat sewing, I watched my sister mope around the house. If only fixing things were as simple as needle and thread. Unfortunately there's bigger problems in the world than a few tears and rips.

When I finished, I had to laugh. I was lucky, my shirt looked great. You could hardly tell anything had ever happened. My pants on the other hand... well, at least I don't wear those to school, ha!

The more I thought about it, the more I could see that sometimes, when we try to fix things, it just doesn't work. Sometimes we can't fix it at all. And sometimes we can try, and it might look better, but it's still not perfect, because it's been changed. Something happened there. It WAS torn at one time, and we can't change the past. But sometimes, if you're lucky, you can fix things to look as good as new, but it's still different thread, NEW thread, and the old scars are still there. Even if we patch our scars and try to hide them, it doesn't change the fact that they're still there, apart of us. That patch can make things seem perfect for a while, but what happens when it falls off? It's not APART of the clothing, it's not the same material, it clashes with the real fabric. Take it off, and let yourself just be. Free of hiding. Why can't everything be mended as easily as my shirt? Or at least kept together for a while -- even just hanging by a thread. If sewing doesn't work, will buttons fix my sisters broken heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment