Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bursting With Experiments!

I went to my 3rd and 4th graders science fair tonight. As soon as the girls saw me they raced over to give me a gigantic hug, tugging at my arm to show me their creations. Exploding volcanoes, fizzing soda, blue foaming fountains, turbines at a 22.5 angle generating 100 KW... these kids are geniuses. Sometimes I wonder what they're capable of doing, and looking down the road 10 years from now, I see them changing the world.
Within the last 2 weeks I've been getting these "moments" where I just stop and say, "This is what it feels like to be a teacher. I want this. I love this." But, they're just moments, some longer than others. Some days I leave work thinking, "I want to teach! I want to live this for real!" But then there's other days were I'm just not sure. "Is this for me? Do I have what it takes? This is such a huge commitment! A lifelong decision! I just don't know..." and the doubt creeps in. The longer I'm there, the more it feels like home. It reminds me of my school growing up, and I don't really want to leave it next year. I hope and pray it's waiting for me when I get back from my own experiment in another country. I can't wait to experience the adventure of teaching my own class.
What to do about my lifetime predicament?!
One thing I know for sure, the more time I spend with these kids, the more I grow to love, each and every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment