Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Growing Pains

My bone is broken, and my best friends heart is broken, and we joke that our brokeness is the tie that keeps us so strongly connected right now, but in a way, it really is.
Tonight she let go and said goodbye to a loved one, and I could tell it hurt her tremendously. She really cared. She loved.
She told me through tears that she knew what she had to do. She had to start building her bridge. Right now, things just look impossible to deal with, but once she builds her bridge, she can stand on top and look down at the river and be at peace with it. All the fun times they shared would turn from pain to a good memory.
She told me that all growing experiences involve some sort of pain, and love is one of the most beautiful experiences, but also the most detrimental of them all. To love sets yourself up to feel pain. But looking back on it, will reveal so much you'd never seen before. It's a learning process. It's a character growth builder.
Pain. My heart felt pain when I lost a friend at the beginning of the year. I felt pain when my plans for next school year came shattering to the ground last week. My leg feels pain every step I try to take. My heart feels pain as I struggle to rebuild a relationship lost from anger and words that cut deeply.
I've learned so much this year. I've grown so much this year. This school year has been one of the hardest of my life, but also one of the best. I have grown in so many ways. My bridge is slowly being built.
I am proud of myself, for enduring the pain. For standing on two feet as solid as I can, and holding my own.
My friend and I are going to stand on the bridge together one day, look down at the cool water and give thanks with peaceful hearts. Who knows, maybe we'll even leap in with laughter and shout full of joy.

2 comments:

  1. You write so well...you know that, right?
    I love your bridge metaphor. Everyday we are building a piece to our bridge of strength!
    You have grown alot this year...you have done well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! So glad you could play a part in the year!

      Delete