Thursday, August 30, 2012

i'm young

I want to dye the tips of my hair purple with some wisps of green, blue, and pink streaks for the 2 weeks I have left in the states.
I want to wear necklaces around my neck and bangles on my wrist that jingle when I raise my arm.

I want long feathered earrings, bright and alarming.
I want to wear funky clothing that turn people's heads as I walk past.
I want to stop being stiff, and let the beat move my joints, and call it dance.
I want to turn up the volume, and roll down the windows, and bang my head, and laugh as the people next to me look with wide eyes.
You're only young once.
I've done henna on my back, I have a bright wrap in my hair, I'm working on my bracelet collection.
Don't judge me if I come back from a year abroad with a dread or a nose ring.
You might think I've changed, but maybe you've never really known who I am from the beginning.
Maybe I'm still trying to figure it out myself.
So, let me live, and let me learn the way I do best.
I'll be just fine on my own.
And maybe when I return, I won't have to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment